MOROCCO DIARY...SORT OF!

The patrons behind Little Door/Little Next Door in LA and Roland Emmerich revamped Dar Maghreb and turned the restaurant and lounge into Acabar. It is a stunning 3,900 square foot eatery which, according to restaurant reps, is supposed to "take diners on a culinary journey along the Spice Trail." I think all my senses would be pleasantly overwhelmed by this new spot. 

Acabar is only the beginning to this Moroccan diary. I've also been eyeing their wedding blanket also called a Handira. These vintage pieces, were hand-loomed from sheep's wool and cotton and are the traditional cape-like nuptial garments of the Berber women. Tradition and skill are passed from generation to generation and  prospective brides and their relatives patiently sewed each sequin by hand for several weeks.  
Due to their handmade and vintage nature, a blanket that is in perfect condition can cost up to thousands but retailers such as West Elm and Calypso St. Barth sell replicas at a more affordable price. I love the story behind them and how they inject texture and interest while keeping a subdued palette.   

More on the list: their rugs. I will definitely go crazy happy when I end up at a Moroccan souk. 


Their tea glasses. They've been on my list since I was 10...ok maybe not 10, but you get the idea.

Their lamps. Aside from their designs, I also like how they leave pretty patterned shadows on the wall. 
Image sources: la.eater.com, apartment therapy, annstreetstudio.com, horchow, pinterest

Comments

Popular Posts